Fudge Toffee Pecan Cookies
Buttery toffee, toasted pecans all in rich chocolate cookie; whats not to love?
What to buy: Skor or Heath bars work best in these cookies.
The delicious flavor of these cookies requires an excellent-quality cocoa powder with a 20 to 24 percent fat content.
Game plan: If you decide to use homemade or real-butter toffee, the toffee pieces will melt faster, giving the cookies a lacier appearance.
The cookie dough can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 24 hours; it can also be stored in a resealable plastic bag in the freezer for up to 2 months. In either case, allow the dough to come to room temperature before baking.
Time and Servings
Total Time: 35 mins
Makes: 24 cookies
1 cup all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
6 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup coarsely chopped toffee, from about 3 (1.4-ounce) bars
1/2 cup toasted pecan halves, coarsely chopped
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to aerate and break up any lumps then set aside to line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed baking paper for later.
- Combine the butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. If a mixer isn't available this can be done by hand but it is more than a little bit of a pain. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the egg and vanilla and mix on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the speed to low, add the flour mixture, and mix just until the dough comes together. Add the toffee and pecan pieces and mix until they are evenly distributed.
- Scoop the dough by rounded tablespoons and place 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the cookies are set around the edges but still soft in the center, about 9 to 11 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before removing the cookies from the baking sheet, about 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough. Once cool, store the cookies in an airtight container to maintain their soft texture.