Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Way Of The Gun

In light of the shooting in Colorado I thought I would talk a bit about why I'm not a supporter of tighter control on guns, fair warning to the faint of heart, I'm going to include some of my usual snark. Deal with it. There are people on the left (I'm looking at you in particular, Bloomberg, you nanny-state gnome) who think what happened raises the question of what should be done about guns in our nation. They miss the point. By all accounts this kid was a genius with a degree in neurobiology, quiet and a bit moody, but liked by the people close to him. He didn't fit any profile for a crazed gunman that police currently use or even acknowledge as useful. The genie is out of the bottle and he's never going back, people will get guns if they really want them, and if they don't they can find other ways to kill each other.

Despite what your average hippie seems to think murder was pretty common when people had to stab or beat each other to death and the answer now, same as then, is that our personal safety is our personal responsibility. The best way to take care of yourself is, sadly, to familiarize yourself with some method of self defense and keep aware of your surroundings so you can react appropriately to the first sign of trouble instead of when things have gone out of control. For most Americans that should mean getting and learning how to use a firearm safely and skillfully, if that isn't possible for you then there are a whole lot of other options out there but they all take varying degrees of training.

Before some pacifist denounces this let me just say, I'm no fan of violence for its own sake, but as long as there are two hairless apes called humans on this mud ball there will be conflicts. It's just a part of human nature. Evolution hasn't gotten rid of it, and civilization has just helped us aim those nasty urges. I'll beat my sword in to a plow if that ever changes, but until it does I'm going to keep it sharp.

Oh, before anyone comments I will say this, sure the cops have said the shooter in Colorado had a bulletproof vest on, but unless it was a level 3 or 4 vest (illegal for civilian ownership in some states) someone in the crowd could have put him down by emptying a magazine of 40 or 45 caliber ammo in to his center mass, even with no penetration we are talking a whole lot of broken ribs taking this kid out of the fight. I know that sounds like an internet tough guy statement but it was actually pointed out to me by a friend who is far more familiar with modern body armor and firearms than I am, and I'm no slouch, so I'll take his word.

No comments:

Post a Comment