Monday, July 2, 2012

Retribution

So, I've liked most of the Resident Evil movies so far, the last one I felt got a bit too far from the source material and suffered for it, but I'm really not sure about the new one, Resident Evil: Retribution.

On one hand it looks like it at least partially returns to the "Milla Jovovich kicking zombie ass" formula, on the other hand putting 3d in the name is usually the death knell for a series and... well, I hate to say it because it sounds chauvinistic and shallow but there is a shelf life on how long an actress can seem to pull off the badass leading lady image.
 I especially  hate admitting that in regards to miss Jovovich, I've been a huge fan and, admittedly I've had a bit of a crush on her since seeing The 5th Element. But that was 15 years ago and as beautiful as she still is she looks... tired. I'm not saying she looks bad, but she definitely doesn't shine like I'm used to seeing her do.

Maybe it's the way the trailer was cut though, trying to make her seem hardened and worn down by Umbrella's mad experiments and the constant struggle to survive over the last few years. Maybe it is just bad makeup in a few scenes, regardless I'm going to cheer if I see her take on a different sort of movie as a project even if I find myself enjoying Retribution. I do plan to see it in theaters, though probably not the first week.

No comments:

Post a Comment