Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Obama And Abortion

Ok, I get it, I'm a guy and can't say too much about the abortion issue, you feminists in the back row can put down your protest signs. I've got no problem in theory with abortion even if I'm philosophically opposed to it, I find arguments about the rights of the mother somewhat trite, what about the right the unborn child has at a chance to live? You can make the claim that until the child can survive outside of the womb it isn't really a person, but that argument goes in to the whole murky territory of what is a person. Is it merely the ability to survive or is it dependent on some concept of the soul? The truth is humanity has no good universal answer to what makes a person just that, and for my part I would rather err on the side of caution and giving life a chance, but that is just me and I get that I can't force that thinking on anyone. Hell, I'm glad I can't force people to think like me and have to rely on persuasion.

The problem is the pro-choice contingent in this country are really pro-abortion and react strongly to any sort of discussion of the issue. One of the big hot buttons with them is defunding Planned Parenthood. I'm entirely for removing all funding from that organization, studies have shown a shocking number of their care providers push women towards abortion in consultations, downplaying the psychological impact that choice can make. Even if you don't see anything wrong with that per se it is at the least worthy of a raised eyebrow. Then there is the issue of freedom.... I think you should be perfectly free to follow your own conscience and if that tells you abortion is the answer, fine, but why precisely should my tax dollars provide for it? Well , I don't think so, if I am morally opposed to abortion as many Catholics and other religious groups are, or have reached the decision that abortion is illegal for philosophical reasons then forcing me to subsidize what I believe to be murder is an impingement on my pursuit of my basic liberties.

What does all of this have to do with Obama? Well, on the campaign trail he took a swipe at Romney stating "Mr. Romney wants to get rid of funding for Planned Parenthood. I think that’s a bad idea. I’ve got two daughters. I want them to control their own health care choices. We’re not going backwards, we’re going forwards." and from a political standpoint it is a pretty good statement, it draws a clear contrast between him and Romney that could energize the President's base and hardline feminist voters, but doesn't it strike anyone else as slightly creepy that the President is pimping his daughters on this issue? Most administrations keep their kids out of the spot light, try to give the children a chance at some normalcy, but this president never hesitates to pull his kids in front of a camera and on the topic of sex and reproduction it definitely seems a bit.... predatory than I'm comfortable with. Or maybe I'm the crazy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment