Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Police Aren't Soldiers

That representation of how police have been misusing SWAT and other paramilitary-style police forces, courtesy of the Cato Institute is why I have less and less trust for police. At one point in my life I wanted to be a cop actually, but I know myself and know I would have wanted to be one of the guys first through the door in a hostile situation and seeing how those units are misused actually makes me think we need to curtail their prevalence in modern policing. Police aren't soldiers and aren't trained for the sort of aggressive room clearing action soldiers are except in the largest departments like Chicago, L.A., and New York, and that lack of training causes them to make often unforgivable mistakes in the line of duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment