Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Hipster Nonconformists

I'm a bit of a freak, I admit it, hell I revel in it at times. I have tattoos, know words in obscure sci-fi languages, have gotten drunk with pro-wrestlers and had my heart stopped more than once due to one bit of crazyness or another. I'm also not trying to be trendy. I don't fit in to the crowd and sometimes that has been great and sometimes it has been relentlessly sucky.

That said I hate the sort of hipper than thou nonconformist who gloms on to any counter culture touch stone of the moment and act like they are some tragic pariah because of it. It's a form of faddishness just like all the yuppie brat's getting abercrombie or all the bro's wearing axe body spray. I'm not going to tell anyone not to do what makes them but stop acting like it's a brave act of individualism to say you don't own a tv or want children. No one cares and your hipster peacocking display is just as obnoxious as the dude's from the football team who used to pick on you puffing up their chests and flexing. anything you are "rebelling" against.

My point? Be yourself, try out new things, but don't toss it in everyone's face if you choose to go off the cultural reservation.

No comments:

Post a Comment