Friday, June 22, 2012

A Dog Tale

I'm a huge fan of dog stories, and I don't mean that in some macho he-man way, but simply put I think most dogs are better people than most people and when a writer shows that... well, they get a permanent place on my book shelf. Maybe having a really great dog when I was a kid shaped that view, maybe it is instinctive since I still don't trust someone if they don't like dogs. I don't know. In any case one of those books is The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. It's a lovely story about a dog's recollections off a life lived by the side of his human, through good times and through bad, and is truly uplifting. Any time I need a bit of cynicism cleared from my system this is one of the books I go for. If you want to read a sweet, funny novel that will make you want to go out and buy your dog a steak, give The Art of Racing in the Rain a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment